Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Remember That You Are Dust

Today is Ash Wednesday. Here at St. Ann & the Holy Trinity we have three services with the imposition of ashes. Two of them are sort of like walk-in hours. The third one is Holy Eucharist in the evening. We just finished our first two hour block of ashes.

As a new priest this was all new for me. I had never served in this capacity before.

Here are some of my thought on the day so far:

I like the quiet of Ash Wednesday.

I like being in the church while it is empty.

I like it when I get the ash to look very cross good.

Many people who walk in to the church and think it is a Catholic Church are not sure what to make of me, and are unsure if they want a woman to remind them that they are dust.

There is a certain awkwardness to a walk-in, continuous church service. People are not entirely sure it's okay to walk up and get some ashes.

We worship in a beautiful church. I love the windows.

More from me after the next service!


No comments:

Post a Comment