Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Week!


So here's the thing: this is my first Holy Week as a priest. I have made a number of spectacular rookie mistakes. I don't think they have gone badly, but they have been really good to learn from.

The first rookie mistake I made was: you should never add more services to Holy Week. There is enough going on.

-The mistake I made was getting excited about the idea of some services in partnership with Grace Episcopal Church for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Holy Week. I have a fellow Lilly Fellow at Grace Church, and she and I thought it might be fun to work together on a project. Firstly, I have to say it was hugely fun to work on a project. And I think the contemplative services were very good, and very feeding to those who came. So while I am calling it a mistake, I also think it was very successful. But it did add two sermons, and three bulletins to the list of what had to happen this week.

The second rookie mistake I made was: asking for wrapped candy, and thinking I would be able to put it all in the plastic eggs.

photo.JPG-Of course, this too turned out just fine. I invited the older kids from our Sunday School to join me in stuffing this afternoon. We had four kids, and made short work of the candy. After we finished the plastic eggs the kids dyed some hard boiled ones. They look great. My personal favorite is Jesse's egg that looked like Mario. Finally we decorated paper bags for people who come to church with out Easter baskets. Actually, I am not sure anyone has Easter baskets anymore. I do. But I think I am the only person I know who does. And I am not 9 years old. 
So anyway, it has been a week of learning experiences, and I haven't even made it to Maundy Thursday Services and foot washing (also will be a first for me...). 
Wish me the best! Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment