Saturday, September 21, 2013

What's in a name?

Last Sunday two different parishioners stopped me after church to talk about the name of this blog. No one had ever said anything to me about it before. But I thought I should think out loud with you for a few minutes here on the blog about the name of this thing.

The first parishioner suggested that the name of the blog was out of date. I no longer count as a new priest. Well...he may be right. Next Sunday, September 29th marks a year of me as a priest. And though I expect there to be many firsts in my second year as a priest, perhaps this is a moment to start understanding myself with all the experiences I have had in this last year.

The second parishioner had a more PR minded comment. He suggested that I change it from reflections of a new priest to confessions of a new priest. He thought it would draw more eyes to be blog if I were confessing things. Unfortunately I am not sure I am confessing much of anything. More than anything, I think what I do on this blog (when I get to it) is try to make some connections between the things I am seeing, and hearing, and thinking to the journey we are on with God.

When I started this blog Fr. John wanted me to come up with a witty, catchy name that had some resonance with pop-culture. I had a hard time doing that. I went with something that would sort of sum up what I wanted to do here, and who I think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment